(originally uploaded on 11 Nov, 2023)Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa
Join a company that is passionately committed to the pursuit of a better world through positive change. With more than 65 years of business and technical expertise in mining, energy, and infrastructure, our 10,000 colleagues in 150 countries tirelessly work toward bettering the industries in which we operate. With practical solutions that are safe, innovative and sustainable, we think globally while acting locally.
Join our Project Delivery Group (PDG), a dynamic team of professionals passionately committed to world-class project delivery across the globe. With expertise in sustainable studies, asset building and operations, and industry-leading efficiencies, our best-in-class team leverages methodologies, governance and systems that are unparalleled in the engineering space. Are you looking for an opportunity to join a diverse group of professionals who are committed to remaining exceptional? We look forward to hearing from you.
Position Title: Senior Materials Technician
Requirements: National Diploma or B Tech in Civil Engineering with 10 years’ experience in road construction materials laboratory testing and should include at least 5 years’ experience in managing a road construction materials laboratory. Professional registration with ECSA and experience on Western Cape Provincial Road projects will be an added advantage. Previous experience as a senior materials technician or laboratory manager will be beneficial. The applicant shall be computer literate and well acquainted with MS office (Excel and Word)
Job Description: The duties of the Senior Materials Technician shall include the following:
Act as a Supervisor of the Client’s Acceptance Control roads laboratory on site:
1. Work closely with the acceptance control laboratory manager and discuss issues, progress, quality of work and test result/reports
2. Attend proficiency testing to be arranged by the laboratory manager and examine test procedures performed in accordance with the relevant test methods and report to the Resident Engineer (RE)
3. Liaise between the Assistant Resident Engineer (ARE) and the laboratory regarding test requests submitted
4. Ensure that the laboratory is performing within an agreed testing timetable and follow up on outstanding test results
5. Scrutinize test results and discuss inconsistencies with the laboratory manager
6. Arrange for monthly duplicate testing and reporting to be done by four different laboratories, including the acceptance and process laboratories
7. Asses the workload of the laboratory through EIU
Act as a Client’s Representative overseeing the Contractor’s Process Control roads laboratory on site:
8. Have regular visits to the process control laboratory and discuss issues, progress and quality of work with the laboratory manager
9. Ensure that the laboratory manager is performing proficiency tests. Attend these tests as deemed necessary and report to the Resident Engineer (RE)
10. Examine mix designs prepared by the contractor and advise the RE
11. Ensure that the laboratory submits copies of their process test results to Hatch for information
12. Ensure the contractor is inspecting their work before they submit it to Hatch for inspection, testing and approval
13. Liaise with the laboratory regarding material samples to be submitted for verification testing by the acceptance laboratory
14. Involve the laboratory with duplicate testing
15. Report directly to the Resident Engineer (RE) as frequently as possible
16. Assist the RE with administrative duties as may be required
17. Assist the RE and his assistants with measurement of completed work as may be required
18. Prepare and submit monthly materials and laboratory reports to the RE
19. Assist the engineer and laboratory manager with mix designs where required
20. Discuss work not complying with the specifications with the RE
21. Assist ARE’s (ARE’s responsible) with inspections of completed work where required
22. Be involved with trial section construction and assessment
23. Prepare earthworks and layerworks progress sheets
24. Prepare and update material testing data packs for as-built purposes in accordance with the client’s requirements
Why join us?
What we offer you?
Don't meet every single requirement? You don't need to. At Hatch, we are building a diverse, inclusive workplace that fosters innovation. If you're interested in this role, we encourage you to apply even if your past experiences don't perfectly align with the skills we've listed.
We're committed to fostering a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate and serve. Hatch is an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers applicants without regard to age, race, color, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, veteran, or any other protected status. If you have any accommodation requirements, please let us know. We'll do our best to meet your needs in accordance with applicable local legislation.
Job Segment: Resident Engineer, Sustainability, Civil Engineer, Engineer, Technician, Engineering, Energy, Technology
About the company:
Our organization is passionately committed to the pursuit of a better world through positive change. We embrace your visions as our own and partner with you to develop better ideas that are smarter, more efficient, and innovative. Our global network of 9,000 professionals work on the world’s toughest challenges. Our experience spans over 150 countries around the world in the metals, energy, infrastructure, digital, and investments market sectors.
We are employee-owned and independent—free to bring our best thinking to your business. Our exceptional, diverse teams combine vast engineering and business knowledge, working in partnership with our clients to develop market strategies, manage and optimize production, develop new game-changing technologies, and design and deliver complex capital projects.
We work closely with the communities in which we serve to ensure that our solutions optimize environmental protection, economic prosperity, social justice, and cultural vibrancy. We want their businesses, ecosystems, and communities to thrive, both now and into the future.
Our people are passionate about our corporate purpose and values. We believe in long-term relationships with our partners, and are committed to our clients’ lasting success.
We are “entrepreneurs with a technical soul.”
At Hatch, we are committed to meeting and exceeding your expectations in all that we do. This commitment is enabled and supported by practices and processes embedded in all Hatch projects, which deliver real value to our clients.
Health & Safety:
The safety of our employees, visitors, and contractors is always top of mind. We work with our clients and partners, using structured systems and processes, to ensure safety, always.
Sustainability requires the optimization of environmental, social, and economic outcomes. This ensures ecosystems are maintained, communities thrive, and society prospers, now and in the future. Sustainability is at the core of how we deliver value to our clients as a socially responsible company.
Indigenous Peoples Policy:
Our relationships with First Nations, Métis, Inuit, and Native Americans are based on the values of honesty, respect, and transparency. We understand that our ability to deliver successful projects on behalf of our clients is enhanced by our knowledge and understanding of the histories, cultures, protocols, values, aspirations, and governments of First Peoples across North America and Aboriginal communities around the world.