(originally uploaded on 06 Nov, 2023)Pittsburgh, PA, United States
Join a company that is passionately committed to the pursuit of a better world through positive change. With more than 65 years of business and technical expertise in mining, energy, and infrastructure, our 10,000 colleagues in 150 countries tirelessly work toward bettering the industries in which we operate. With practical solutions that are safe, innovative and sustainable, we think globally while acting locally. Are you looking for an opportunity to join a diverse group of professionals who are committed to remaining exceptional? We look forward to hearing from you.
If it isn't grown, it's mined. Our mining and metals teams help our clients to safely and sustainably mine the minerals and metals used in our everyday lives. Want to play a part of innovating and optimizing the mining life cycle on greenfield and brownfield facilities? Apply today!
Hatch is seeking local new graduates for a Junior Automation / Controls Engineer for the Pittsburgh, PA office. The Junior Automation / Controls Engineers responsible for the execution of the engineering related to a specific project including, but not limited to preparing design criteria, engineering calculations, technical specifications, data sheets and reports.
**An official or unofficial transcript must be uploaded to be considered for this role.
This position reports to the Global Director, Metals Processing
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
· Specify, select, configure and program the control system, Programmable Logic Controller/ Decentralized Control System (PLC/DCS) or any other system as required.
· Ensure that Piping and Instrumentation Designs (P&IDs) are technically correct and meeting industry, Hatch and project standards.
· Participate in HAZOP, HAZID, SIL and other process safety related reviews as required.
· Ensure that the design is operable, maintainable and safe per the applicable local laws and client safety standards.
· Ensure that the design is delivered per the time schedule.
· Promote value engineering on the project with emphasis on energy management.
· Manage and coordinate with the Lead Systems and Process Control Engineer or Engineering Manager the progress of the engineering work in accordance with the project scope, schedule and procedures.
· Review shop/manufacturing drawings to ensure conformity with engineering designs.
· Review other discipline drawings/documents and vendor data to ensure conformity with engineering designs and S&PC design criteria.
· Interface with other discipline engineers to ensure technical and physical interfaces between S&PC and other disciplines are managed.
· Follow and comply with Hatch and/or project design change management procedures.
· Manage and treat S&PC supply packages or contract packages as mini projects; managing the scope, schedule and cost aspects of the relevant package. Actively manage the relationships with vendors to ensure that suitable outcomes are achieved for all parties concerned.
· Following the award of contracts and purchase orders as instructed, monitor the fabrication and construction work to ensure that it is executed in accordance with the engineering design.
· Assist the client and lead engineer with respect to the decision-making process in terms of vendor packages and vendor suitability.
· Assist with the stewardship of the progress of the engineering work packages to ensure that project budgets and schedules are being met. Assist with implementing corrective action as required.
· Assist with the facilitation of quality audits of engineering work and ensure that remedial work in accordance with the project procedures and the quality assurance plan is performed.
· As a member of the S&PC engineering team ensure that the checking of documentation and interdisciplinary coordination is implemented in accordance with project procedures.
· When requested, assist with the preparation of draft monthly engineering progress reports for incorporation into the engineering monthly report.
· Assist in the commissioning of site as required.
· Currently pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited College or University or recently graduated.
· 0 - 3 years of project engineering experience.
For all Junior Employees, we offer more ways to grow and learn. Most of these continue throughout your career.
What we offer
• Stability and consistency – our role here at Hatch are long term full time. We do not hire for one project; we hire full time employees to grow them within Hatch. You are joining the Hatch team and family to grow your career in a way that is best for you.
• Our goal is to convert 100% of students/coops/interns to full time offers.
• Expected growth at Hatch:
§ You will be able learn about the different sectors, processes, people, and culture that drives our business.
§ You will learn from others- developing relationships with your managers, colleagues, etc.
§ We want to learn from you too! Share your referrals for us to connect with and interview, let us know what you are reading/learning about, fill us in on your university events! Help us both flex our growth mindsets!
§ Growth in our communities locally, but also thinking globally.
o In 3 ways: Experiential, Exposure, and Education:
§ Experiential- 70% of learning is on the job, hands-on!
§ Exposure- 20% of learning- Talking with others, mentoring, professional development groups!
§ Education- Courses (online or in person)- often created by Hatch specific to your role!
• Company gatherings, happy hours, social interaction to build strong work relationships.
• Social Activities- After work events (Top Golf, Barcadia, Virtual escape room)
• Regional networking
• Young Professional Groups (YP)
o Orientation- young professional presentations/panels to start your career at Hatch.
o YP (Young professional) Presentations- what it’s like to work on site.
• KEG sessions (Keep Education Going)
• PDP (Professional Development Program)
• Challenging career with countless opportunities
• The opportunity to receive excellent mentorship from industry experts.
• An exciting work environment involved in constantly evolving industry.
• Ability to apply your skills to challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects, while working alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people.
Why join us?
What we offer you?
Don't meet every single requirement? You don't need to. At Hatch, we are building a diverse, inclusive workplace that fosters innovation. If you're interested in this role, we encourage you to apply even if your past experiences don't perfectly align with the skills we've listed.
We're committed to fostering a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate and serve. Hatch is an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers applicants without regard to age, race, color, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected status. If you have any accommodation requirements, please let us know. We'll do our best to meet your needs in accordance with applicable local legislation.
Nearest Major Market: Pittsburgh
Job Segment: Sustainability, Controls Engineer, Construction, Electrical Engineering, Manufacturing Engineer, Energy, Engineering
About the company:
Our organization is passionately committed to the pursuit of a better world through positive change. We embrace your visions as our own and partner with you to develop better ideas that are smarter, more efficient, and innovative. Our global network of 9,000 professionals work on the world’s toughest challenges. Our experience spans over 150 countries around the world in the metals, energy, infrastructure, digital, and investments market sectors.
We are employee-owned and independent—free to bring our best thinking to your business. Our exceptional, diverse teams combine vast engineering and business knowledge, working in partnership with our clients to develop market strategies, manage and optimize production, develop new game-changing technologies, and design and deliver complex capital projects.
We work closely with the communities in which we serve to ensure that our solutions optimize environmental protection, economic prosperity, social justice, and cultural vibrancy. We want their businesses, ecosystems, and communities to thrive, both now and into the future.
Our people are passionate about our corporate purpose and values. We believe in long-term relationships with our partners, and are committed to our clients’ lasting success.
We are “entrepreneurs with a technical soul.”
At Hatch, we are committed to meeting and exceeding your expectations in all that we do. This commitment is enabled and supported by practices and processes embedded in all Hatch projects, which deliver real value to our clients.
Health & Safety:
The safety of our employees, visitors, and contractors is always top of mind. We work with our clients and partners, using structured systems and processes, to ensure safety, always.
Sustainability requires the optimization of environmental, social, and economic outcomes. This ensures ecosystems are maintained, communities thrive, and society prospers, now and in the future. Sustainability is at the core of how we deliver value to our clients as a socially responsible company.
Indigenous Peoples Policy:
Our relationships with First Nations, Métis, Inuit, and Native Americans are based on the values of honesty, respect, and transparency. We understand that our ability to deliver successful projects on behalf of our clients is enhanced by our knowledge and understanding of the histories, cultures, protocols, values, aspirations, and governments of First Peoples across North America and Aboriginal communities around the world.