(originally uploaded on 09 Mar, 2023)Mississauga, ON, Canada
Join a company that is passionately committed to the pursuit of a better world through positive change. With more than 65 years of business and technical expertise in mining, energy, and infrastructure, our 10,000 colleagues in 150 countries tirelessly work toward bettering the industries in which we operate. With practical solutions that are safe, innovative and sustainable, we think globally while acting locally. Are you looking for an opportunity to join a diverse group of professionals who are committed to remaining exceptional? We look forward to hearing from you.
If it isn't grown, it's mined. Our mining and metals teams help our clients to safely and sustainably mine the minerals and metals used in our everyday lives. Want to play a part of innovating and optimizing the mining life cycle on greenfield and brownfield facilities? Apply today!
The Tailings & Mine Closure Management (Tailings) Practice group at Hatch is seeking to hire an intermediate level hydrotechnical engineer to work in our Mississauga office. This role would suit a highly motivated professional with a strong technical focus, who is interested in supporting the development of the practice and expanding the capability within the North American cluster of an existing team of specialists in tailings, closure, and mine waste management made of geotechnical, hydrotechnical, geoscientists, and process engineers in North America. Reporting will be to the North American Practice Leader in Tailings Practice.
• Providing technical support on water management tasks including: baseline hydrology, water balance study, water management plan, hydraulic modelling and design, dam break and flood inundation study, sediment and erosion control plan, mine water operation support, closure water management, construction water management support and field works;
• Coordination with multi-disciplinary teams to develop integrated tailings, mine waste and mine water management solutions for the selection of sites, tailings dewatering process technologies, subsurface investigation studies and laboratory tests programmes for material characterization (geotechnical and geochemical), transport and conveyance studies and final disposal including embankment design, deposition modeling, capping and closure studies, as well as surface water management, dam break analyses, flood routing to evaluate and size channels/pipes;
• Participating in health, safety and environmental policies, procedures, standards and guidelines in the execution of all work;
• Preparing technical documentation including reports, specifications and design basis memorandums as well as reviewing and coordinating civil designers and helping prepare engineering drawings;
• Business development and marketing to existing and new Hatch clients in the mining sector as well as supporting in preparation of technical proposals.
Qualifications and Experience:
• B.Sc. in Civil Engineering or Water Resources Engineering (A post-graduate degree is preferred);
• Minimum of 3 years of engineering consulting experience in hydrological studies and hydraulic designs (mining industry experience preferred);
• Eligible or holder of Professional Engineer designation in Canada or the USA and knowledge of CDA and MAC tailings and mine waste design and operation guidelines;
• Experience in hydrological analysis, site water balance study, hydraulic design of water conveyance and storage facilities, dam break and inundation study;
• Experience in software packages such as GoldSim, PCSWMM, FLO-2D, HEC-HMS, HEC-RAS, CulvertMaster, AutoCAD and GIS;
• Exposure to construction, field work and environmental permitting support is a plus;
• Excellent verbal and written English communication skills in the technical and commercial fields. Preferred bilingual proficiency in French and/or Spanish and/or Portuguese;
• Works well and seamlessly in an international team with a strong client focus;
• Highly proficient in MS Office suite of tools including: Excel, Word, PowerPoint and MS Project;
• Ability to travel internationally for business with focus on North America (Canada, USA and Mexico) to support regional operations; and
• Valid passport preferably with international recognition and a driver's license from a Canadian province.
Why join us?
What we offer you?
Don't meet every single requirement? You don't need to. At Hatch, we are building a diverse, inclusive workplace that fosters innovation. If you're interested in this role, we encourage you to apply even if your past experiences don't perfectly align with the skills we've listed.
We're committed to fostering a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate and serve. Hatch is an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers applicants without regard to age, race, color, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected status. If you have any accommodation requirements, please let us know. We'll do our best to meet your needs in accordance with applicable local legislation.
Job Segment: Construction, Sustainability, Civil Engineer, Geology, Engineer, Engineering, Energy
About the company:
Our organization is passionately committed to the pursuit of a better world through positive change. We embrace your visions as our own and partner with you to develop better ideas that are smarter, more efficient, and innovative. Our global network of 9,000 professionals work on the world’s toughest challenges. Our experience spans over 150 countries around the world in the metals, energy, infrastructure, digital, and investments market sectors.
We are employee-owned and independent—free to bring our best thinking to your business. Our exceptional, diverse teams combine vast engineering and business knowledge, working in partnership with our clients to develop market strategies, manage and optimize production, develop new game-changing technologies, and design and deliver complex capital projects.
We work closely with the communities in which we serve to ensure that our solutions optimize environmental protection, economic prosperity, social justice, and cultural vibrancy. We want their businesses, ecosystems, and communities to thrive, both now and into the future.
Our people are passionate about our corporate purpose and values. We believe in long-term relationships with our partners, and are committed to our clients’ lasting success.
We are “entrepreneurs with a technical soul.”
At Hatch, we are committed to meeting and exceeding your expectations in all that we do. This commitment is enabled and supported by practices and processes embedded in all Hatch projects, which deliver real value to our clients.
Health & Safety:
The safety of our employees, visitors, and contractors is always top of mind. We work with our clients and partners, using structured systems and processes, to ensure safety, always.
Sustainability requires the optimization of environmental, social, and economic outcomes. This ensures ecosystems are maintained, communities thrive, and society prospers, now and in the future. Sustainability is at the core of how we deliver value to our clients as a socially responsible company.
Indigenous Peoples Policy:
Our relationships with First Nations, Métis, Inuit, and Native Americans are based on the values of honesty, respect, and transparency. We understand that our ability to deliver successful projects on behalf of our clients is enhanced by our knowledge and understanding of the histories, cultures, protocols, values, aspirations, and governments of First Peoples across North America and Aboriginal communities around the world.