(originally uploaded on 01 Mar, 2023)Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Join a company that is passionately committed to the pursuit of a better world through positive change. With more than 65 years of business and technical expertise in mining, energy, and infrastructure, our 10,000 colleagues in 150 countries tirelessly work toward bettering the industries in which we operate. With practical solutions that are safe, innovative and sustainable, we think globally while acting locally. Are you looking for an opportunity to join a diverse group of professionals who are committed to remaining exceptional? We look forward to hearing from you.
Dynamic Earth Solutions (DES) specializes in site planning, spatial information and digital terrain modeling, surface and subsurface investigations, rock mechanics, underground structures, geotechnical laboratory services, flood forecasting and water resource management through our geotechnical, hydrotechnical, and civil site development expertise.
Our Dynamic Earth Solutions (DES) group forms an integrated core that provides clients with outstanding project execution through our geotechnical, hydrotechnical, and civil site development expertise.
From concept to operation, we're committed to providing traditional services alongside proprietary technologies and innovative thinking to deliver custom, cost-effective solutions. From studies, analysis, and design to construction supervision and monitoring, our DES group specializes in site planning, spatial information and digital terrain modelling, surface and subsurface investigations, rock mechanics, underground structures, geotechnical laboratory services, flood forecasting and water resource management.
Interested in being part of pursuing and developing new technologies, unlocking constraints, and bringing more value to our clients' operations? Join our team today!
Job Title: Civil Designer
Hatch's Dynamic Earth Solution Group (DES) is looking for a Civil Designer to join the team. Reporting to the Practice Lead you will support projects globally. This specific role will see you working on a major rail upgrade project in Canada, performing cable containment and utilities design.
We're entrepreneurs with a technical soul. Our flat organizational structure creates an atmosphere of openness and participation. We build practical solutions that are safe, innovative, and sustainable. Our ultimate goal is to achieve no harm for our people, our clients, and our communities.
What a Career at Hatch Offers You:
• You will have opportunities to contribute to complex projects around the world in meaningful ways
• Work on problems and gain experience in the office and on project sites
• Collaborate with diverse teams locally and globally
• Work in an exciting environment where you can apply your academic learning on a daily basis
• The opportunity for knowledge exchange with some of the leading minds and authorities in the industry.
As a Civil Designer, you will be required to provide engineering deliverables and technical support. The main duties and responsibilities as part of this position include:
• Cable Containment modelling and design
• Utilities modelling and design
• Earthworks and grading design
• Design access roads for mining, energy, and infrastructure related facilities
• Design and model drainage and stormwater management systems
• 3D model preparation and drawings production
• Close collaboration with other disciplines such as structures, mechanical, piping, and electrical
• Perform conceptual layout work
• Develop design details
• Check drawings prior to release
• Coordinate and review clash detection of models with other discipline models
• Verify onsite condition and dimensions relating to existing facilities
• Construction supervision dependent upon project demands
• Incorporate safety in design.
Education, Experience, attributes, and Skills:
• Civil Engineering Technology Diploma from an accredited college
• Minimum 5+ years' experience in a similar role
• Cable containment and/or underground utilities modelling experience
• Experience in civil infrastructure, site planning, linear alignment design
• Strong design software skills including demonstrated experience with Civil 3D and AutoCAD. Other software skills which will be considered useful include OpenRoads, Revit, ProjectWise and Microsoft Office.
• Work experience in completing design assignments for linear infrastructure projects and mine sites
• Good communication and interpersonal skills are needed
• Thorough understanding of inter-discipline requirements
• Problem solving attitude
• Ability to work in a team-environment
• Willing to mentor junior staff
• Knowledge of industry or regulatory standards, regulations and codes pertinent to the design and systems related to the project
• Good safety awareness.
We are committed to fostering a workforce in each of our locations that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate. Hatch is an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers employment applicants without regard to age, race, colour, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected status.
Why join us?
What we offer you?
Don't meet every single requirement? You don't need to. At Hatch, we are building a diverse, inclusive workplace that fosters innovation. If you're interested in this role, we encourage you to apply even if your past experiences don't perfectly align with the skills we've listed.
We're committed to fostering a workforce that reflects the diversity of the communities in which we operate and serve. Hatch is an Equal Opportunity Employer that considers applicants without regard to age, race, color, national origin, citizenship, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected status. If you have any accommodation requirements, please let us know. We'll do our best to meet your needs in accordance with applicable local legislation.
In order to consider any application for employment, we will have to process your personal information.
A law, known as the Protection of Personal Information Act, 4 of 2013 (POPIA) provides that when one processes another's personal information, such collection, retention, dissemination and use of that person's personal information must be done in a lawful and transparent manner.
In order to give effect to this right, we are under a duty to provide you with a number of details pertaining to the processing of your personal information. These details are housed under the Hatch HR Processing Notice which can be accessed and viewed on the Hatch website: https://www.hatch.com/About-Us/Privacy-Statement-South-Africa, which HR Processing Notice we request you kindly download and read.
Job Segment: Sustainability, Civil Engineer, Geology, Drafting, Electrical, Energy, Engineering
About the company:
Our organization is passionately committed to the pursuit of a better world through positive change. We embrace your visions as our own and partner with you to develop better ideas that are smarter, more efficient, and innovative. Our global network of 9,000 professionals work on the world’s toughest challenges. Our experience spans over 150 countries around the world in the metals, energy, infrastructure, digital, and investments market sectors.
We are employee-owned and independent—free to bring our best thinking to your business. Our exceptional, diverse teams combine vast engineering and business knowledge, working in partnership with our clients to develop market strategies, manage and optimize production, develop new game-changing technologies, and design and deliver complex capital projects.
We work closely with the communities in which we serve to ensure that our solutions optimize environmental protection, economic prosperity, social justice, and cultural vibrancy. We want their businesses, ecosystems, and communities to thrive, both now and into the future.
Our people are passionate about our corporate purpose and values. We believe in long-term relationships with our partners, and are committed to our clients’ lasting success.
We are “entrepreneurs with a technical soul.”
At Hatch, we are committed to meeting and exceeding your expectations in all that we do. This commitment is enabled and supported by practices and processes embedded in all Hatch projects, which deliver real value to our clients.
Health & Safety:
The safety of our employees, visitors, and contractors is always top of mind. We work with our clients and partners, using structured systems and processes, to ensure safety, always.
Sustainability requires the optimization of environmental, social, and economic outcomes. This ensures ecosystems are maintained, communities thrive, and society prospers, now and in the future. Sustainability is at the core of how we deliver value to our clients as a socially responsible company.
Indigenous Peoples Policy:
Our relationships with First Nations, Métis, Inuit, and Native Americans are based on the values of honesty, respect, and transparency. We understand that our ability to deliver successful projects on behalf of our clients is enhanced by our knowledge and understanding of the histories, cultures, protocols, values, aspirations, and governments of First Peoples across North America and Aboriginal communities around the world.